Gaudreau Fountain Insurance Agency, Inc.

Rental insurance

Your landlord will likely have coverage on the building that you live in, but that coverage will not include the contents of your apartment. To cover your personal possessions in the event of a fire or some other loss, you will need tenants or renter's insurance. In addition to covering your possessions, rental insurance also would offer coverage for liability for injury or damages to others while in your apartment.

Your rental policy would also provide coverage benefits, such as temporary housing or living expenses should your apartment become uninhabitable due to fire or other disaster and coverage for possessions in your car or while you travel.

Your cost will depend on the amount of coverage you need and your deductible. Essentially, a deductible is the amount you are willing to assume out of pocket for any losses before your coverage kicks in.

Home inventory

It's a good idea to keep an inventory of the personal possessions in your apartment and to keep multiple copies. If your apartment were destroyed by fire or storms, an up-to-date inventory can help you get your claim settled faster. Take a room-by-room inventory, save receipts for expensive items, and note serial numbers on appliances and electronics.